Meta Code

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Maybe there is an "I" in "Team".

I sat in my first team meeting this weeking and there was a common theme.  I constantly heard the phrase "my team" and after that I really couldn't tell you what was said because I wasn't listening and neither was anyone else.  The body language of the group was one of distance and lack of interest.  But this was definitely understandable afterall we don't really "show up" for things that we don't feel connected to right?

Anyway, a co-worker asked me what I thought about the job so far with a smirk and kind of a wink.  I said, well I haven't been here 30 days yet but something is definitely odd or interesting.  She said, "ok, just wait a little longer".  I asked her to elaborate but she wouldn't.  She just smile and her facial impression said it all.  She very clearly affirmed everything that I had observed and had mentioned since week 1.

The good news is, at the end of the "my" team speech, the "leader" did affirm that we are all on the same team which completely erased the 50 times she said "my and mine" during the meeting, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment